I present: the Hemp-Seed & Kale Antioxidant Smoothie Bowl! It’s super-yum, super-easy, and so on trend that it’s practically on fleek.
I don’t have a crystal ball (or a crystal mixing bowl, for that matter) but I do read a lot of food blogs. Between the food blogs and Pinterest, you can totally see trends emerging, with pumpkin-spice-everything being the most obvious one. I’ve made a point to follow (almost exclusively) food bloggers on social media and it’s an education in itself to see how trends evolve and take off.
So I thought I’d try something different today, and talk about some of the trends I see developing on the foodie blog scene. And then try to develop my own trendy recipe, just ’cause I wanna go viral like that. (Referencing this post in which I talk about my plans for foodie world domination. Because why not?)
FOODIE TRENDS, according to moi:
- Cram-It-All-In Recipes — Take all the key words (gluten-free, low-carb) and/or mash-up a couple of types of recipes (brownie, cake, cookie), and voila! You’ve got a recipe that’s a) original and b) hopefully will go viral. Case in point, the Pumpkin Fudge Brookie.
- Dessert for Breakfast — As I’ve previously written, I have insomnia and as such am not a morning person. A dessert person, on the other hand, I most definitely am! If you’re like me, when you have no time to prepare breakfast, just make one of this year’s popular breakfast desserts and pop them in the fridge.
- Candy-Store-on-Top Cakes — You have your cake, and then you add slabs of chocolate, lollipops, macaroons, candy floss, basically everything you can find in a candy store and stack that baby up. It’s a one way street to a diabetic coma, but oh, what a way to go! Another variation of this is the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink milkshakes. You know, the ones that have a donut, a slice of pie, whipped cream, chocolate AND caramel sauce, and perhaps a few chocolate bars, all balancing on a tall, frosty milkshake? Not familiar with the concept? Check this out.
- Smoothie Bowls — Take a smoothie, pour it in a bowl, sprinkle some toppings over it all, and call it a smoothie bowl. Add in a few trendy words to get the clicks.
Which brings me to my latest easy-peasy recipe! Smoothie bowls are one of the next big things, and I do love my kale smoothies, so I thought I’d see what sort of a delicious mash-up I could make.
Hemp Seed & Kale Antioxidant Smoothie Bowl
Terri’s smoothie from this buzzfeed article is my absolute favourite, so I adapted it for this recipe.
- 1 small banana, frozen
- 1 cup kale, frozen
- 1/2 ripe pear, frozen
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 tsp. dehydrated broccoli powder (greens powder from a bulk food store works too)
- 1 tsp. goji berry powder (optional, but ups the antioxidant factor)
- 1/4 c. hemp seeds
- 1/2 c. blueberries
Blend all ingredients for the smoothie together. Pour into a bowl. Sprinkle toppings over the smoothie.
Yup, it’s that easy! And it’s surprisingly delicious! The protein keeps you full until your next meal, the goji berries and blueberries are full of antioxidants, you’ve got your veggies in the form of kale and broccoli, and healthy fats via the hemp seeds. And did I say it’s delicious? It’s basically like…dessert for breakfast! (See what I did there? Foodie trendz for the win! *high fives self*)
Honestly, this smoothie bowl is much more delicious than it sounds. Try it out, switch up the toppings, and come up with your own trendy version! And then post your version in the comments. Maybe it’ll go viral!
Next Post: The Sandwich Bread post, probably. Because I’ve already made the recipe twice and there are two more loaves in the oven right now!
Yum! Love hemp seeds!
Thanks, Jen! Me too!