I had a fellow mum and her son over this week for a playdate with my daughter, and wanted to serve a healthy snack. (Also, I love carbs. I mean, yum!) So I whipped up some Preservative-Free Shortcut “Everything” Bagels, and served them with some hummus. Healthy, nutritious, and very delish! Plus, these bagels are pretty easy to make, which is important given that I spend most of my day chasing a toddler around!
What makes them so easy? Well, we start with pizza dough! My Easiest Pizza Dough in the History of Ever is very appropriately named, so that’s what we use as the dough. Then you just have to shape the bagels, boil them briefly in honey water, and pop them in the oven. Bam, freshly baked homemade bagels made with ingredients you can pronounce!
If you’re baking for a romantic interest, well, freshly baked homemade bagels will definitely impress them! But if you decide to eat them all yourself, well, I won’t tell!
Now let’s get baking!
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg) quick active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or veg. oil. You use what you’ve got!)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp dried garlic
- 1 tbsp. dried onion
- 1 tsp coarse salt (sometimes called "pretzel salt")
- Mix yeast with 1 c. warm water, and add in the salt, sugar, oil, and flour. Stir together until it forms a dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let sit in a warm spot for two hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough, and cut into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, and attach the ends of the rope together to form a traditional bagel shape.
- Add honey to 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Drop in bagels and boil for 1 minute on each side.
- Scoop out bagels from the water and place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Mix the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and salt together in a bowl.
- Brush the bagels with a beaten egg white, then sprinkle them with the "everything" bagel seasoning.
- Bake 25 min in 400 degree oven until golden on outside. Let cool and enjoy!
I bought the ingredients for the seasoning (including the pretzel salt) at my local bulk store. Bought too much pretzel salt? Why not try making these Preservative-Free Shortcut Pretzel Bites!
Serving Size:1 bagel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 778mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
I topped these Preservative-Free Shortcut Bagels with a homemade “everything” seasoning, but you could easily top them with only sesame seeds, only poppy seeds, or whatever you’re craving! Jalapenos and cheese? Yes and yes! Raisins and cinnamon? Um, yes, please! These bagels are great served fresh with cream cheese, and are yummy toasted with butter too. Mmm…fresh bagels! Yum!