I looooove me some Oreo cookies! I mean, I’ve made Oreo Surprise Inside Cupcakes and Cherry & Vanilla Oreo No-Bake Cheesecakes, so you know I kinda sorta like-like them! But…I don’t like the preservatives that they’re made with. So what’s an oreo-loving gal to do? Erm, make them myself, say what? That’s right! I created a recipe for Preservative-Free Copycat Oreos! They’re crunchy and creamy and chocolatey and oh so good! I definitely feel less guilty about eating a handful of homemade copycat oreos, as opposed to the preservative-laden original!
You can make these Preservative-Free Copycat Oreos too! You just make the crisp cookies, then sandwich them together with homemade filling. The filling is a vanilla version of my Peppermint Patties filling, and it’s so yummy that I have to hide it from my husband. For his own good, of course! Not because I want to hoard them all for myself. No, definitely not! 🙂
Let’s get to making us some cookies!
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 c. icing sugar
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. icing sugar
- 5 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. chocolate chips
- Mix 3/4 c. sugar and 6 tbsp. butter together, and stir in eggs and 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Add in flour and cocoa and mix until combined.
- Flatten onto parchment paper and chill until firm.
- Cut out into circles with a cookie cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven, for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- While the cookies are baking, mix 1 1/2 c. icing sugar with 5 tbsp. melted butter and 1 tsp. vanilla extract, until it forms a pliable dough.
- Roll out the filling between two pieces of parchment or wax paper, and cut out using the same size cookie cutter that you used for the cookies.
- Place the filling cut-outs on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 15 second bursts, stirring in between every 15 seconds.
- Take two of the cookies, place a dab of chocolate on the inside of each cookie, and sandwich the filling in between. Repeat for all cookies.
- Enjoy your preservative-free copycat Oreos!
If you don't have an oreo-sized cookie cutter, try using a champagne glass -- it's the perfect size!
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 48mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Protein: 2g
As you can see from the photo, I like my Preservative-Free Copycat Oreos to have lots of filling in them, but if you’re watching your weight, you could easily cut the filling down by a 1/3 to 1/2. That would significantly cut the calories, as the richest part of these cookies is the filling. I do love my Copycat Oreo filling!
If you like Oreos, but are trying to eat less processed food, try making these Preservative-Free Copycat Oreo Cookies! They’re great for dunking in milk, just snacking on, or…eating by the handful! (Or maybe that’s just me!)
Next Post: Oh Em Gee, I have the yummiest recipe for you! It’s Sweet Potato and Lentil Shepherd’s Pie! Tastes way yummier than the super-healthy name suggests!